Friday, 26 June 2015

I did more walking than sleeping, I'm sure of it

yum yum yum
I've never spent so much time in Shoreditch. But despite the heat and the amount of walking I did, I must say: time well spent. Before browsing the vintage shops yesterday, I got an invitation to the opening of a new  Pret A Manger just down the road from Bricklane for a free breakfast! The night, well, morning before I had stayed up until 3.30am watching Orange Is the New Black so it was kinda hard convincing my sleep-deprived-self after four hours of sleep whether it is worth my time traipsing back up to Shoreditch just for free breakfast. But the trio, me, Cleo and Alicja did go back up and it was wonderful. Pret has never disappointed in the past, so I knew to expect amazingness. As long as we had the invite we got to choose one food item and one drink item. So I enjoyed a ham cheese and bacon hot breakfast roll on fresh bread with a latte. I don't think I had ever tried a latte until then (I'm more of a tea or mocha person lol) but it was mighty fresh and to be quite honest probably the beverage that kept me going for the whole day because at midday (yes, midday. How had so much happened already??) I was meant to be meeting my pals Oyinda and Suu-ki to go to the Tate Modern.


Me enjoying my latte


Cleo posing with the light and her new trouser-dungarees


Alicja laughing with her purple hair like a mermaid

I love the Tate Modern. The minimalism, cubism and all sorts! I saw my first Picasso in the flesh which is very exciting!!! I didn't know how I had missed it because I had been to the Tate Modern before but then I realised the last time I was in an art gallery was to stress out over my art sketchbook for my exam at school. Well that's dead and gone now...
But yeah, beautiful as always! There was this dark, dark, dark, dark (okay you get the gist) room. You could literally be dragged to the depths of god-knows-where or be murdered without anyone knowing in there, it was so creepy. Obviously it was part of the collection and after moments of pitch black, images and noises started appearing on the screen. It was cool, but creepy. I didn't take a photograph because I had watched Insidious 3 a couple of days ago so I was trying really hard not to scare myself which takes A LOT of concentrating. Just imagine a square of black.












I keep forgetting that this isn't just some ordinary mirror selfie. We were the art. On the description it said: "People walk past, seeing your reflection from afar. From that moment your role as a spectator changes into the subject, acting as the frame and the canvas. The frame contains and limits its reach, while the canvas adapts and absorbs, creating an ever-changing image. That's why this work is genius - art and reality are one."

I had such a good time but man it was hot and I was wearing quite a think long-sleeved cardi and a bloody kilt. So yeah, that hindered my enjoyment juuust a tiny bit. Nevertheless this is how summer is meant to be. This particular summer anyway. Who cares if you had four hours sleep and was on your feet since 7.30am? It is so much better than spending all my time at home with the curtains closed, watching TV, going on the computer, reading, constantly flicking between instagram and snapchat. As common as that is, it gets boring. It's fun being on your feet, getting some fresh air. Doing beautiful things like going for breakfast in the morning and walking around art galleries with your mates just reminds you how simple and wonderful life is...when you're on holiday of course. You've got to make the most of your situation.

Afterwards, we stumbled across this guy by Southbank who was doing this thing where we gave him a title and he would write a poem or a short piece about it and then we'd pay what we could. Creative right? At first, I asked him to write a poem about the name Zoe. Boring I know. He said it was quite difficult to do that since he did not know the person. So, stuck in an awkward situation, trying to come up with something interesting to offer, he saw the ROKIT bag I was carrying with me and said something like "hey why don't I write about old clothes" since ROKIT is vintage. And he came up with a cute short piece titled "Old Clothes." I say cute because I don't really understand what it means, but I do at the same time. I didn't post what it actually says because I didn't get his name and I don't want his words to be stolen. But anyways, it was a nice idea. I hope he becomes a famous writer one day.


Hope you enjoyed this post nearly as much as I enjoyed this day! ~PEACE OUT and see you in another post! xx~

3 comments:

  1. omg Chleo's dungaree look is so good. I've always loved a good dungaree! You're making me crave a hot brekkie atm and it's 11:50pm! All of you are well cute. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol idk why I added an H into her name, I'm very tired right now, sorry!

      Delete
    2. haha i shall tell her! lol sorry about that but you should totally have a hot brekkie anyway, regardless of the time. Aww thanks and lol dw at least you didn't call her Zoe or Chloe ahah xx

      Delete

thanks for your comment, they never fail to make me smile + i appreciate them so much!