Sunday, 26 July 2015

Full

I'd seen Lee Price's paintings all over Tumblr and usually I'd just admire them as I'd admire any art but when I finally found out her name I just had to do some research. She is an American realist painter and for 20 years has been painting to portray the relationship women have with food. I read an interview that she had with The Daily Beast and The Other Journal where in both interviews she went into detail about the meaning behind the collection of paintings. Price herself said "I’m painting about compulsive activity. I’m painting about, specifically, compulsive or emotional eating."

The first painting of the series is called "Full" which featured her lying in the middle of an antique table-cloth with food spread about her. After this she started to further explore the interpretation of compulsive activity. Price did have a history of eating disorders which she then mildly related all her paintings to. Sometimes, people interpret her pieces as portraying shame, as well as joy, however Price said that the word "Shame" to describe the series makes her uncomfortable, she said herself that "I would describe it as compulsive, as secretive. But I feel like it’s a person trying to soothe themselves. It’s like trying to nurse yourself but not doing it in a way that is actually helpful. Again, I’m not sure why shaming—I think maybe the use of the word: when women do it, it’s shameful, but when men do it, it’s compulsive." I can relate to this myself. I often turn to food without thinking when things go out of balance. Part of me tells me not to but the other half just wants things to feel better, and food does that. Obviously then there is a twinge of regret and shame which just reverts the whole cycle back to the feeling of abstinence. Price also said that she believes that compulsive behaviour is more misguided than it is shameful—you’re doing something to try to make yourself feel better and, in the end, you’re harming yourself. It’s sad. It’s human nature. Personally, I am blown away by the beauty of these paintings and how strangely I can connect with them.

"Hot Chocolate"

"Ice Cream II"


"Jelly Doughnuts"

"Refuge"

"Self Portrait in Tub with Chinese Food"

"Self Portrait in Tub with Ice Cream Cone"

"Sleeping with Peaches"

"Sunday"
 Find her website with more of her paintings and bibliographies etc here
xxx

10 comments:

  1. I had to do a double take on almost every painting to decide whether or not it was actually a photograph. Lee's paintings are so drop-deap awe-inspiringly amazing!

    http://wondergoth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - me too! Totally agreeeed x

      Delete
  2. these are really incredible and I love how natural everyone's pose feels... also a lil #too real ahaha.

    Claire
    www.augustlikethemonth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikr, it is natural and quite effortless. I liked how I agreed with the artists interpretation because it made me feel like I connected with it a lil' more other than just admiring the brush strokes or something lol x

      Delete
  3. Something about that one with the ice cream cone in the bathtub is really mentally soothing but also makes me wanna cry idk why, I just had this feeling of like, seeing myself there and feeling this weird kind of compassion. Bc, I don't relate to this personally in terms of the whole food/ed aspect of it, but for me it's these very domestic, personal scenarios painted that kinda make me think of myself, and how I feel guilty for everything? But seeing this just makes me feel like a human being, like everything is ok... or not ok maybe but at least human? idk, feelings~ I guess it's these occasional moments where I'm reminded I'm a person, not a me that is separate from everyone and needs to be more accountable/under different rules than other people. AHH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your interpretation. :)

      Delete
  4. So we might be twins because I just dedicated half of my school art journal to Price. I'm generally not a fan of traditional painters just because they lend themselves towards being so decorative but Price may as well be depicted stills from my life. I'm really glad she doesn't refer to compulsive/emotional eating as shameful, maybe there is a sense of guilt (Alysia Harris says something along the lines of how shame is your relationship with society, guilt is your relationship with God [but in this case, yourself or your subconscious]) but only because, as you said, that your solution becomes a part of the problem.
    And I think there's also something to be said not only for the types of food we eat to feel better (reaching for a carrot stick just isn't the same as a frilly, iced cupcake or moist and rich turnovers) but also the intimacy and privacy implicit of the places we eat. Compulsive eating almost becomes sacrificial in that sense, like taking time aside to pray or reconnect yourself with yourself or happiness or whatever.

    Whoa. Long comment. Anyway, love her. Love your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! Thank you for UR beautiful analysis, I love hearing other ppls opinions omg. X

      Delete
  5. I love her work I love all of this and I'm glad I'm not the only teenager who thinks these are powerful

    ReplyDelete
  6. me too, they are very powerful. xx

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment, they never fail to make me smile + i appreciate them so much!