Thursday, 27 August 2015

A M S T E R D A M

I went to Amsterdam last weekend to visit my eldest sister who just moved there with her boyfriend in early May! It is such a beautiful city; people ride their bikes like there is no tomorrow, the weather was charming and the people were friendly. Amongst the thousands of bikes we probably saw around town, the overall vibe of Amsterdam just oozes romance, chill, and excitement. Though the excitement was most likely due to the fact that SAIL was taking place the weekend that we visited which only happens every 5 years. Funnily enough, we didn't even come for SAIL. But the wondrous event did mean that it was extra busy around town and stuff. Nevertheless it added to the whole experience of being somewhere so new and cool.

For me, Amsterdam seems like a young city; a place where you would normally move to when you're in your twenties or early thirties looking for a fresh start. I loved the architecture of not only the famous buildings but also the massive town homes and the cute little apartments. We did a lot on our short visit. We went to the Van Gogh museum which was absolutely magnificent. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take photographs (though I did sneak a quickie of the original sunflowers - it was so tempting!) And we went from floor to floor chronologically, looking at the life of Van Gogh and his art beside it. His story is so tragic, but it just makes me appreciate his art even more. He never would have thought that he would have a whole entire gallery in his name and it makes me really happy! I hope his ghost has seen it some how, I just hope he knows. What really struck me about his whole life story and art is that all of his self-portraits looked identical to his brother, and nothing at all how Vincent actually looked. It made me wonder if in all of his self-portraits he was really painting himself as his brother. It's so interesting.

As well as that we walked (A LOT) around town, going into souvenir shops and a vintage shop called 'episode' where I bought some beautiful, formal brown trousers. We went to a delicious and famous pancake bakery (needless to say it was heavenly) and we went on a canal ride to end our trip. Obviously, Amsterdam is known for their legalisation of marijuana and prostitution, so on some of the coffee shops there were signs saying "Here you can smoke" with pictures of weed on it. You had to be 18 of course, so with my older sisters there was no way I was being allowed anywhere near them haha. We walked quickly through the famous Red Light District, which was the prostitution area. It was very interesting actually. Ugh, overall this trip was just fabulous, I would recommend this amazing city to anyone!!! Enjoy these (if I may say so myself) gorg photos of my trip and hopefully get a bigger feel of this wonderful place. xxx


















xxx

16 comments:

  1. I've never been to Amsterdam, but now I really really really want to go there!

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amsterdam has to be the coolest place on earth, and your ace photography certainly does it justice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tbh I really think it is - I'm so jel that my sister has bagged it as a place to live, bc now none of our siblings can w/o being a copycat lool. Thanks hun xxx

      Delete
  3. Agh Amsterdam looks so amazing!! Defo on places to visit one day (and maybe live). Love the pictures :)

    theirfancies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo of Amsterdam at night is beautiful! Ahh, this posts makes me excited! I might be going to Amsterdam in October
    Great post :)

    This Kid Is Alright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Yaaaaay omg have fun girl you'll definitely enjoy it!!! X

      Delete
  5. that looks So Good Yo like I am dying to get to Amsterdam! glad you had fun <3

    Claire
    www.augustlikethemonth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I hope you get a chance to visit! thanks Claire <333

      Delete
  6. I went to Amsterdam four years ago and of all the places I've ever been to, Amsterdam is still my number one favourite! You described the city so perfectly! I visited the Vincent Van Gogh museum when I went, and it's honestly one of those experiences I'll never forget! Did you go to the Anne Frank House? That's somewhere that I had wished I'd visited! Ugh, your pictures are making me miss everything about that city so much right now! I'm so glad you had fun! x

    vogueescapade.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, ikr, it was just beautiful! Unfortunately no, the queue was too long hahaha. But I do wish I went. There'll be other times though! :) Thanks xxxxx

      Delete
  7. I've been wanting to visit Amsterdam for absolutely ages, it looks amazing there, so beautiful. It's awesome that your sister has moved there!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to go sometime it really was amazing. Yeah, I'm happy for her but also really jealous haha, it just seems like such a cool place to live! <3

      Delete
  8. nice article! Hope to be there someday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely and yes I would totes recommend it! xx

      Delete

thanks for your comment, they never fail to make me smile + i appreciate them so much!