Thursday, 3 March 2016

why there needs to be more creative spaces for PoC + other stuff

 

These are some of the photos I took for my media studies coursework you may have heard about in my other post. I needed to take some more for my double page spread, so once again my beautiful gal pals posed for more photos. These weren't taken in the trendy streets of Shoreditch though - the weather was quite nice for once so we went to the park at the back of our school.

So whilst I was taking these and thinking about my coursework, I realised I really wanted to make the zine that I was taking about before. (They play 3 girls who have created an online zine called 'Neptune Estate' for PoC.) Most zines I have seen and read are beautiful and creative and inspiring - but most of them are ever so slightly...whitewashed? 
Maybe that's the wrong word to use but I haven't seen zines where a good number of contributors are people of colour. To some extent, our voices are still unheard in the media and there are rarely spaces for PoC to artistically express ourselves without having to gravitate to a space specifically made for us rather than streaming it into the mainstream, the norm. Very short way to say all of that but it was just something that popped up. But I do really want to make Neptune Estate in the future. I want to get into illustration and digital design and stuff as well!  

ANYWAYS! CHANGE OF TOPIC.

Plasma Dolphin have just realised their 8th issue called 'Worlds Collide.' I have just finished reading it and it is FLAWLESS. I have written for it too! You can find my piece here. Check out the whole issue when you have the time. The themes explored and written about are extremely beautiful, as well as the art, photography and film!

peace out beautiful ppl, and see you in the next post! Zoe xo 




12 comments:

  1. I totally agree with how mainstream media don't often include PoC!! It's so cool that you're planning to make a zine, I'm sure it's going to be so beautiful + cool!!! Also, these pictures are just so cute, you rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! And thank you so much!!! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. Yes!!! I agree with you 100%! I'm excited to hear more about your zine :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yiiiis!! this is definitely something i've seen even in "subversive" spaces as many online zines claim to be. your piece in plasma dolphin is great!

    Claire
    www.augustlikethemonth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've started to notice it for a while now. Thank you, as is yours! <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Love this post and I totally agree with what you're saying!
    xx Alyssa
    visionsofnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all are so beautiful. I definitely agree that there is not a lot of poc representation in the media. Almost everything in the media is whitewashed (that is actually the perfect word), and I really want that to change. When I was younger, I would read magazines and all the models would be white. After a while I stopped reading certain ones because I wanted to see more poc and ladies who look like me and have possibly had the same experiences as me. I definitely encourage you to make the zine! I think it can definitely help bring a change, and hopefully bring others to awareness about diversity in the media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  6. wow. I agree with this 100%. The lack of representation in the media today is so problematic and impacts the our self-perception so much! I love your writing and I would love to see your zine (please make it!). I am doing features/interviews of PoC on my blog for this very reason. Contact me if you're interested in sharing your words! <3

    -Neesh
    neeshtyler.com

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment, they never fail to make me smile + i appreciate them so much!