Saturday, 9 July 2016

rosewood, yam and amber

A lot of crap is going down in the world right now, we have to protect each other and support each other. #blacklivesmatter. I'm very frustrated, I'm scared, I'm sad, and my heart goes out to all the families who have lost lives that were unjustly taken. What else can we do other than continue to protest, continue to get our voices out? It's emotionally draining just thinking about it. 



I have helped to run my schools creative writing club this year and yesterday was our last session and I made them write about anger. I mean, there's a lot of stuff to be angry about right now. The results of the EURef, the unjustifiable deaths that have been taken over the past 72 hours. I reminded them that although anger makes us feel good and it often seems like the only way to express how you feel, it's also one of the most negative emotions you can have, therefore it's important to find alternatives to anger. It's so easy to hate, but it takes guts to be gentle and kind. It's been so great running a club like this because it's not often that you get to share a space with people younger than you where they confidently voice creativity, whether it be on topics that are silly or serious. 

Anyway, this post is a compilation of anything and everything, and now that I've gotten the most important and relevant through:


*   *   * 

This is a mood board for the past week. It's been such a strange, bewildering one. One more week and then school is over. I would have survived the first year of a-level - (never thought I'd live through it) - and now I can feel my body collapsing, I'm so ready for summer to begin - and the first thing I'm doing is sleeping. 


these colours make me really happy and calm. Particularly 'rosewood', 'yam' and 'amber'.







This picture reminds me of the film "The Truman Show" - if you have never watched this film before I would recommend you to drop everything right now and watch it. Truman is a man who was adopted by a production company and brought up on a reality TV show that is his life. He doesn't know this. He lives on a set that is made to look like normal, everyday life when the only person who is real is him as he interacts obliviously with actors every single day. The film is about him beginning to realise that his whole life is a lie and how he chooses to escape his literally man made life. Peter Wier, the director, created a thriller without the generic signs of such genre. It was chilling, clever and is enough to turn you mad for 10 minutes after it has finished. Such an amazing film - no. 1 on my list of favourites. - WATCH IT. 


The Truman Show (1998)

I was just browsing on tumblr and came across "Reem Acra's Spring 2016 Collection" and it is just flawless. I'm really into long gowns at the moment, and warm, dark reds and deep sunset oranges too, ('Amber', 'Rosewood','Rust', 'Fire', 'Spice' and 'Squash' would be your reference here!) especially when juxtaposed with earthy, bright blues. Reem Acra, a Lebanon native, wanted to show who she was in this collection by combining her past and present life. "The accessories had intricate nods to traditional Middle Eastern beading and were embedded into short dresses, highlighting the midsection for a nice bloom-at-the-waist emphasis. The detail became a figure-complementing necessity with pieces like a floral-print V-neck dress with a tulle overlay that cascaded over the shoulders, as well as an orange scoop-neck shirt paired with a twisted aqua skirt." - Taken from Vogue.com, read rest of the article here. I absolutely fell in love with this collection!





hope y'all are doing fab wherever you may be! ~ peace out and c u in the next post! ~ Zoe xo

> p.s: check out the "Creatives of Colo(u)r" page on my blog!!! <


6 comments:

  1. Love this <3 I feel so angry too at the world's current state right now! :( but yes, those colours are really nice and calming, I love honey, peach and fire

    malimichaelablog.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gal! ♡♡♡ yeah I'm angry, but it does kinda make me feel negative for long periods of time so idkk. Those colours are so pretty and their names are such aesthetics idc ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’•

      Delete
  2. I always feel SO DRAINED when I see videos etc of black people being killed for no reason at all. It's so draining and exhausting, especially when you don't see anything changing too. I know that being angry is just exhausting though and I prefer to concentrate on the positives and speak out when it is needed.

    I love these cool compilation posts that you do they're so awesome and I really need to watch that film! It sounds great xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree. Thanks melody!! and YES WATCH IT, I hope you love it as much as I do! xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. I love the quote about luck (the one about tossing coins)... I've never heard of it before, but I really like it!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment, they never fail to make me smile + i appreciate them so much!