Saturday, 29 October 2016

friday late: gal-dem

I've been off for a whole entire week this week. And it's been good. Like, real good. Usually during a half-term break I feel stressed out with school work and revision, but because my first assessments were a week before the break, I had nothing to worry about expect for petty things. It's been nice and easy. It's been the equivalent of that movement you make when you let your shoulders relax.

I've spent the majority of this week rehearsing with my theatre group for a show we're putting on in Edinburgh next month. (!!!) My sister Cleo has a blog and she wrote a post about the show we're putting on, so you should check it out!

Here's a small playlist of the songs I've been listening to and liking a lot this week:



Anywayyyys, to top off an amazing week, yesterday I went with Cleo and my friend Oyinda to the V&A museum for their 'friday late' event, hosted by the amazingly beautiful online / print magazine 'gal-dem'. I love going to these type of events; they're so inspiring and just ooze with creativity and music and fashion and art. It was so great to be in a huge creative space surrounded by so many beautiful people of colour. It's such an achievement for gal-dem too - to be taking over the V&A?!?!? I'm so inspired by the fact that it started off as an idea that was rooted in frustration at the lack of diversity of women of colour, and for it to have birthed up to this moment, bringing together so many creative people is just so amazing. And the vibes were insane. I felt so lucky.



Along with several exhibitions and talks, gal-dem paired up with BBZ London - (Burgeoning Brazen Zamis OR Babes) - which is a monthly exhibition / club night centred on creative queer women and genderqueer people of colour. It was honestly one of my favourite parts about that night. I'm a sucker for dance parties anyway, and to be able to bounce to the beat of banging tunes whilst surrounded by gorgeous, fashionable, eccentric people was LIT.



I went to a talk called 'On Confidence, Scribbles and Celebration' held by Lotte Anderson, Art Director and founder of MAXILLA, and Lynette Nylander, Deputy Editor of iD. It was about exploring the role of confidence and finding your voice. Man this talk was everything. It was what I needed to hear personally, and what I feel most aspiring creative young people need to hear in general. My mantra of the night, taken from Lotte's words herself, was "Make more, show more, care less."



It's so fucking true. Care less. Care less. You have these ideas, these feelings, these questions. Don't be afraid of them. Don't even feel like you have to broadcast them everywhere. Take pride in things that turn out shit - they shed light upon the things that you think actually have worth, right?




^^ creds for these three paintings go to this amazing artist. find her on instagram here. ^^


It was the push I needed to confidently seal up the idea of the zine I want to make. And I'm definitely going to make it now, just go for it. I need to start cherishing these innovative feelings without putting too much pressure on myself for them to turn out perfect. I need to stop being so self-involved and just relax, care less and go with the flow. I'm going to try and get a website sorted out for the zine, and I'll be back!! Enjoy these pictures from this spectacular evening. 



I think I was one of at least 20 people rocking the camouflage trousers look that night.



Cheers to good times ahead. I hope that wherever you are, things are swell. 
~peace out~ peeps. Zoe xo

8 comments:

  1. that sounded like so much fun!!! you all, in fact everyone there looked so good!! i can imagine how great it must feel to be surrounded by so much creativity and despite not actually being there i feel inspired :) this is definitely what i needed for the last stretch of term haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was!! i'm so glad you feel inspired, it was honestly such a beautiful, creatively motivating environment. Thanks!! xo

      Delete
  2. kjfdsf this looked so so good! I wanted to go but I went to BFI Black Star instead! But yes: Make More, Show More, Care Less. A perfect mantra. I love how you said it's given you the push to make your zine. That's what so great about events like this and things like Gal Dem, and all these amazing artists and writers on instagram. It makes you go, 'oh shit! well, I can too!'. Ahhh this looks like it was so good. And your camouflage trousers are amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing!! The BFI event sounds really cool tho. Thanks!! It was actually the first time I'd ever worn something camouflage - I genuinely must live in a box because I didn't know they were trending THAT much lmao
      Xoxo

      Delete
  3. dude this looked ssooooo cool!!! i love love love seeing groups that represent POC become well-known and do things like this and its just so inspiring to see and hear about!! BlAh so cool, also you are rockin' those camouflage pants, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I know, it's so incredibly inspiring!! Haha thank you so much !!! ❤❤❤

      Delete
  4. WOah what a busy but super interesting/educating/inspiring time-'Care less'-idk why but this gave me a burst of inspiration-good luck with your zine!!x
    katie-louu.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah !! Yay, I'm glad!!! Thank you xoxo

      Delete

thanks for your comment, they never fail to make me smile + i appreciate them so much!